Saturday, January 9, 2010

Help!

We started getting the basement ready tonight for painting. I'm moving down there a.s.a.p. on account of Ali and Adam getting married and taking over the upstairs. Colors are dark blue on the bottom half, a nice copper penny color orange-ish stripe in the middle, and a lighter blue on top.
Here is my dilemma and I need help, quick! Before we start painting! There are two... anomalies in the room. One is a hot pipe that runs from ceiling to heater and is wrapped in foam, as you can see below:




















Any ideas on how to make this look nicer? It might be hidden behind my desk a little but any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Same with the big white box below sticking out of the wall here:

I think I will continue the paint around this box, painting the top half blue bottom dark blue and stripe in middle.

One last question, should I paint the large white strip up top also? Or leave it?

Please leave your comments and opinions! I'm counting on you, thanks!!

7 comments:

  1. You can hang a curtain from floor to ceiling to cover the pipe - which would probably look just as bad as the pipe itself. But it would be covered. Any really good ideas I have I will tell you in person - I don't trust the Internet to keep my fantastic decorating advice a secret.

    I can't believe I'm posting a comment on your blog page when you're only 15 feet from me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. paint them both orange then they will reallyu stand out

    ReplyDelete
  3. You paint them to match the walls. Whatever color they are against paint them to match. Even if it means that they'll be striped. They'll blend in better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard from 2 people that i should paint the top strip light blue too. And I definitely will do the stripes on the white box, maybe on the little post too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok .. your colors are very dark for your space ... so please paint the box in the stripe design and it will dissapear .. for the pipe .. paint it a cool green turqouise color and it will look very contempoary... the white stripe on the top of wall could also be a blue.turqouise color ... your ceiling is low so this will add some cool effects. if your painting tonight hope you will pst a picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. E,
    Wrap it in canvas or fabric (over the hot water pipe insulation). Then you could paint that the same as your color scheme. Also, paint the box the same as the wall to hide it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the curtain idea is the best as far as simplicity. I've done all kinds of complicated things like wrap the foam in aluminum (not foil)sheet. You can't really paint it.

    Paint the top strip! Bio-hazard orange!

    ReplyDelete