Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 3

Unfortunately nobody from Sign Language was out in the ministry today, so we just joined Spanish! There were two brothers there from Canada who also spoke French and English. They told me that the congregation didn't really use territory maps like we do in the States, they just pick an area that they haven't been to recently and the whole group heads there.

The service group.

The house we met in.



Emily and Joanna went with one group and I went with Julia in another group. Starting with some businesses around the corner she left a magazine and a tract with some workers. I didn't have a presentation so Julia gave me a short question to ask (?JesusCriso y Dios son la misimo?), a tract on Jesus, and two scriptures, John 7:29 and 14:28.

There are the two Canadian brothers in the baseball caps. Behind them is a funeral procession. A hearse with yellow flowers on top passed by with a large procession following on foot.


The center of town, sort of.  =D



Downtown Samana is in a valley so we hiked up some steep hills to continue preaching. We came to a house where a chicken was tied by his leg to what looked like a small barbell. However, upon closer inspection, it seemed to just be a stick with cans in bags attached on each end. There was a woman holding a small child on her porch who pulled out chairs for us as we came up. I was able to do my simple presentation for the first time and with the assistance of Julia left her a tract. It was really nice just to sit for a few minutes and talk to someone pleasant.

Here is the view of the town from where we were preaching, up on a hill.


Julia said the house we are staying in is visible somewhere in here. . . I'm not 100% on that though!

Lots of these super cute tiny dogs around! They seem to stay pretty cool with their really short fur. I haven't seen any dogs with long fur yet.

The coast! And some really pretty brightly colored buildings.


We had two other nice conversations, Julia is really skillful and while I can't understand everything she says, I'm still impressed with her teaching. She started a Bible study with one young man and is planning on going back Sunday.


After taking a rest at the house Julia shared a wonderful lunch with us and we all showed each other pictures of our respective families.

This afternoon Joanna is joining Julia on a Bible Study while Emily and I will be working on our Spanish presentations with Darioly.

And on a final note, here are pictures of the house we are staying in, courtesy of Emily.

Kitchen

Front door/Living Room/Joanna
To the left of the front door, standing on the stairs.
 
Yay the bathroom!
Joanna's bedroom.

Emily and I are sharing this room.

PS - It is super noisy here! And the street is so close to the front door that people and motorcycles sound like they are right in the house! It takes some getting used to!

8 comments:

  1. wow! exciting! beautiful pics! reminds me a little of st. thomas. Your house looks cute, too! You girls will have lots of fun, & surely blessings from JH, sounds like you already had nice experiences! thanks for sharing with us! axnious for your next post! love you all! Andrea/mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's nice having three different people each with cameras! And that we actually have a computer (and internet) that I can quickly post them!

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised they still left u in country after sharing pics of family. Thanks for letting us see the pio pad. Looks like a very beautiful area too Pops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, the brightly colored buildings are great. And I saw no spiders in any photos so hope you can keep it that way! Your "pio pad" (as I just had translated to me) is super cozy. Any leftovers from Morgan & Alyssa? Yo hablo espanol muy buena! Love, mops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mops? I like that. Ummm, unless they left Tupperware, or dirt, I don't see anything. I think they were here almost a year ago anyways, you'll have to ask them. I'll make sure to get sample sizes on the spiders here for you!

      Delete
  4. Enjoying the pics! I call those "island doggies" when we see them in JA. They look like the type of dog that would fit in on a pirate or merchant vessel in days of yore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can probably live on very little! This morning I was trying to figure out how much it would cost to fly one back for myself and Papa. The two sisters staying across the street from us have one so I think I should too.

      Delete