Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 4

So I mentioned yesterday how noisy it is here? Well at some point, pretty much everyone goes to bed, sometime around midnight, and it gets really quiet here! And that lasts into the morning.
This morning I woke up before my alarm went off to strange silence (yes the silence woke me up). And when I came downstairs it smelled really good! What was it you ask?


Rain!


Boy was I happy! It smelled so nice, like rain air freshener(TM). Anyways, this was the first time we were going to meet at the Kingdom Hall (Salón del Reino) so Darilady walked us over. It took less than 5 minutes maybe.



Addresses are kind of funny here, I'm not really sure anyone has one. But if you look on JW.org the address for the Kingdom Hall is literally "in front of the Samana Cemetery" pictured below.

Those holes are unfilled graves.
Another visiting sister - yay!
Joanna and Emily went with another sister to a study while I joined Natalie, her daughter Bella and Natalie's sister-in-law Kayla for some studies in an unknown location. As in the location was unknown to me.

We hopped on a Gua-Gua and headed about 20 minutes out to a beautiful little sea side village. The first study wasn't home so we headed to Virginia's house.

On the way we saw a man showering on the side of the street. Not the best picture, but still share-worthy!
A beautiful baby!


Apparently most of the deaf in Samana don't know sign language, so a lot of time is spent teaching them how to communicate and how to learn since those that don't know how to sign have had no education.

However, the Listen and Learn brochure is a great tool and that's what Natalie has been using to teach Virginia. Using pages 8-9 we talked about Adam and Eve and the choice they had to either obey or disobey Jehovah. She didn't know the sign for obey so it took a lot of drawing and we acted out me obeying Natalie's command to go outside then disobeying her telling me to come back in but finally Virginia understood the choice and the signs.

Virginia on the right.

 




Natalie, Kayla, Bella, not sure about the little girl's name though. :(




5 comments:

  1. How nice to teach from the beginning- great story Looks happy fro the rain !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great seeing all the experiences-almost feel like I am there with you! The KH looks really nice; even with the cemetery as an address! And it was a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena! I'm sooo excited for you! It's interesting how you do territory. How long are most of your service days? I didn't realize how beautiful it was there!! ALSO, it just occurred to me that your mom's name is Anita Baker...lol that makes me very happy! What a great name! Tell Emily I say hi! I remember meeting her. I'm proud of all of you and keeping u n my prayers! Keep the journals comin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Averi! Most of the friends here stop at 12 then later they may go out for Bible studies or return visits however this is no group that meets together for that. So we just try to make plans with whoever we can, basically just invite ourselves along for their studies! =D Emily says hello back.
      And yeah it is pretty great having Anita Baker as my mom!

      Delete
  4. wow! thank you again for letting see what's happening! so encouraging! how cool to see the deaf bible study in progess! Amazing, how they are teaching the deaf... communicating with them & teaching them JH & sign language! Send our love to the friends there! will look forward to your next story! love, andrea/mom

    ReplyDelete